Thursday, September 30, 2010

Adventures at Dawn


Wednesday, September 29, 2010.



The alarm clock rang at 6:00 a.m. I opened my eyes and thought to myself “should I really do this?” 
I knew that I needed to, cause if I didn't do it now… I would never know what it was like, and if I never knew what it was like… I would never know if I was missing something or not!

So I put on my gear (my jogging clothes and running shoes), said hello and bye to mom (who was feeding Jaden) and headed out the door.
I noticed that the stars were still shining and that it was still pretty dark… a little windy, but it was now or never.
I started running.

I found that it was hard to breathe in the cold of the early morning… in Manitoba… in late September.

I found that there are still creatures running about in the twilight. 
When I saw a little one running across the road I immediately though... hmm... should I turn around? What if it was a skunk or a badger? Would I surprise it to much if I came running by and would it come back out to meet me?
I wished that Teddy (our dog) would have come along with me (she was no doubt doing what I was thinking maybe I should be doing... sleeping).
I decided to keep going, running just a tad a lot faster till I had passed the area where the offender had been spotted.
Never saw it... and to tell you the truth, I was kinda disappointed. Would have given me a truly interesting story to tell.
Like.... "Jennifer gets bit by a badger and lives to tell about it" or "skunk gets away, but Jennifer gets sprayed".
Wouldn't that be fun! :)


Anyway... back to the run,

I found that wind doesn't make your ears feel very nice when you are running in it. Wind is... well, wind is cold... especially in the morning.

I was also disappointed to find that if I was going to see any HINT of a sunrise, I was going to have to run at least 1/2 hour later then I did.
Who runs that early in the morning except to watch the sunrise???




But I also found that it was quiet.
Not a bird cheeping, not a sound… except that of the wind blowing and rustling through the grass and trees.
God's creation was sleeping. Made me feel so alive. 
It's not very often that I get up early enough to "hear" the quiet, was so peaceful and refreshing.

Upon arriving home I felt like I had gotten a jump start to my day. Even my clothes smelled like a breath of fresh air!
I was READY TO GO.

So I decided then and there that this was the best time to run. And that I’m going to do it as often as I can. 
At least that is what I was thinking while I was already out there :) I've found that most things are easier said then done :P

So what if it is hard to breathe? I hear that the colder it is… the more your body has to work and the more calories you burn! AND I found that there isn’t as much sweat involved either!
So what if the little creatures decided to freak me out… what is life without a little adventure involved?
So what if my ears didn't enjoy the ride… the wind doesn’t blow EVERY morning... and, what are toques for anyway???


So what if there isn't any sunrise… dawn is a beauty in itself.



Psalm 59:16

    But I will sing of your strength, 
       in the morning I will sing of your love; 
       for you are my fortress, 
       my refuge in times of trouble.



❀ Jennifer



2 comments:

Josh and Rebecca Pauls said...

I'm so glad that you dedided to 'do' it . :) God's creation is totally amazing, no matter what time of day it is!!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had the same self-motivation as you to get up early in the morning to jog! It is a beautiful, quiet time, and an awesome time to think about things!
Janae