Thursday, April 17, 2014

Run in Spring

"I want to become a runner"

Those were the words that I wrote at the beginning of this year on my New Years Resolution blog post.
At the time I had high hopes of doing intense treadmill training so that I would be ready to "hit the road running" come spring time.
Unfortunately I found a huge lack of physical motivation when it came to the treadmill. I guess my newfound love for outdoor running sucked all of it away.
Over the winter, while I did do some running, I did not even come close to meeting the goals that I had set for myself.

This spring has been torture. Because of the cold weather I have been able to run outdoors some, but not nearly as consistent as needed to get into shape. But I've been making good use of all of those warm days... and hopefully spring will soon come to stay!

I have been approaching training a little bit different this year then last. Instead of working on both speed and distance at the same time, I am working on increasing my speed in a three mile restriction until I reach my goal. I will then gradually increase my distance at that pace.
While it is hard for me to keep my distance at three miles, I know that my tendency is to push myself to hard, which ultimately results in injury. So it has been good for me to take it more slow and steady.
So far I have been able to hit a PR each time I run outside this year which has been hugely motivating for me.
Today I actually came in 18.4 seconds short of my goal and only .06 min/mile off of my desired pace. I am getting closer!!



I have also been doing lots of core training, which has made a huge difference. It has helped me to correct my form while running (something I really needed to work on!) as well as has made me feel stronger all around.

So ya, that there is my running update for y'all.
And hey, any runners out there? I would love to hear any tips or tricks that have worked for you in your journey to becoming a runner.

1 comment:

Josh and Rebecca Pauls said...

So proud of you Jen Jen! I know what you mean about running on the treadmill, I don't even run outside :) Keep up the great work girl! Love ya!